Monday, May 21, 2012

Annular Solar Eclipse!!!!!!!

I cannot tell you enough how excited I was to see this eclipse!  I'm a bit of an astronomy junkie so of course we made the 219 mile trip down to Kanarraville to get the best view.

After arriving at our viewing spot and after holding hands with Kait and squealing and jumping up and down we set up camp to watch the eclipse.  Starting at 6:30 p.m. I took a picture every 10 minutes on my iphone through a solar viewing lens, so the pics aren't too spectacular but that's okay because I witnessed it with my own eyes and it was beautiful.



Kaitlin was the only child who was as excited as I was.  Thanks Kait!!


6:30 a tiny, tiny nip has been taken out of the bottom right of the sun.

 6:40

6:50 

7:00  

7:10
Noticeable change in ambient light and also a noticeable change in temperature.

7:20 

7:30
 It looks like dusk yet the sun is still high in the sky, despite 95% of the sun being covered it is still too bright to look at the sun without the solar glasses.

We didn't stay to see the eclipse wane because E, C, and N were bored by 7:00 with the whole thing.

I decided to make a little vacation out of this trip so I booked a hotel in Cedar City with the plans of hiking, picnicking, sight seeing, and swimming the next day.

Unfortunately due to a landslide the road to the hiking trails were closed but we did find a lovely overlook to stop at.


Then we went to Three Peaks Recreation Area for a picnic and exploring.  Three Peaks has these wonderful rock formations perfect for climbing all over.





While exploring around Cameron said "Can this be our hike since there's wild animals?" He was looking at one very tiny lizard.  :-)


Then two hours of swimming with the pool to ourselves!



1 comment:

  1. Um, first of all, that is awesome. I wish we could've seen it from our house.

    Second, when did Nora grow up?!? She's not even a toddler anymore! When did that happen? I guess sometimes I forget how long we've been gone.

    ReplyDelete

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
You have reached the bottom of the page.