The children were asking about the Giving Tree and why we had it and I said "Because some people don't have enough money to have Christmas presents."
Silence around the table.
Elise says slowly "So what you are saying is that there is no Santa Claus and people have to have money to buy presents and toys, so parents are Santa?"
Silence on my part.
I could not lie to such a direct question so I said "There is such thing as Santa. Santa is another word for someone who secretly gives presents."
Elise: "So there is a Santa but parents buy presents and say that they are from a not real Santa."
Me: "You've sort of got it."
Cameron: "Tell me straight. Is there a Santa who lives in the North Pole, has elves, flies on reindeer?"
Me: "No. Mom and Dad give you presents on Christmas."
Cameron, Elise, and Kaitlin in unison: "I STILL BELIEVE, I BELIEVE IN SANTA!"

That is funny, I am trying to figure out how to navigate questions about him myself.
ReplyDelete